Monday, August 24, 2009

Decorating 101

Over the past weekend, my stepmom and stepsister came to visit little brother and I. This was the first time either of them had ever been inside the house. My stepmom was filled with ideas about how to decorate. There are several problems with this:
  1. I don't have any money. Maybe she forgot that I am a student who lives in loans and credit cards.

  2. Her style of decorating is TOTALLY different than mine. No colonial crafts, please.

  3. I know she is coming from a good place, but I don't really want her help to decorate my mother's old home.

But she did get me thinking about how I would like to decorate... She is not very creative in an artistic sense. She uses the word "artsy" a lot. I don't think people who use the word "artsy" to describe something creative have any real creativity or eye for art. I'm not saying that I have any works currently on display at MOMA, but I have my moments.

I think I want to do the kitchen in Tuscan colors or prints. I want to paint the wall a pale orange/yellow color and hang this print. I like the feeling of warm colors and wine. It seems so cozy to me!


Or I might go completely the opposite direction, paint the wall bright white, and print out 10 of these and frame them on the wall...




In the living room, there is one floral printed couch (ugly, but comfortable) in fall colors; rust brown, red, orange, and greens. There is also a big avocado green chair in this room. (Again, ugly, but comfortable.) Since I can't afford to buy new furniture right now, I need to work with what I have. This room is HUGE, so I want to paint at least 2 walls, maybe more, a really bold color. I'm thinking a rust/red. For the walls I may hang a bunch of copper painted frames, or this print.

Or, to tone down the room, I could hang something simple, like this:



Oh, to have the time.... But school started today and I am having a slight anxiety attack. Probably why I have spent the last hour mentally decorating the house!

I hope everyone in Blogger Land has a fabulous Monday!
xoxo
g.


P.S. Only 3 weeks until the season premiere of Gossip Girl!! OMFG!!

1 comment:

  1. oh my god... love the andy warhol soup can idea! and i think you should go bold all around in the living room (forget the black and white!) wish i could be there to help. take some trips to thrift stores, flea markets, garages sales, etc. and always keep your eyes open for used goods to help accent the house :-) maybe next time i'm home we can have a painting party!

    by the way, boo to school ;-)

    i think i feel the same way about artsy (and i HATE when people use the word organic, so pseudo-intellectual to me unless you're talking about produce)

    Oh! AND... i've been getting up at 6:45 since last Tuesday. worked out 5 times since then and have been on a life changing diet.

    OMG too much for a blog comment post! we should talk soon.

    LOVE YOU & GG
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete