Sunday, June 8, 2008

I guess I'm not as big of a bitch as I thought!

I'm not the kind of girl who buys self-help books. I've tried to read them before, but I think they're bullshit (sorry, Carrie!) and make women feel bad about themselves, like they need to change in order to fit into a man's life. Ever noticed that they don't make books for men about how to fit into a woman's life? Because a man would never read a book like that, and if he did, he would never make those type of changes. However, a couple of years ago I ran across a book called Why Men Love Bitches. I thought, "That's funny, I'm a huge bitch and men don't love me!" I flipped through the book and it looked kind of funny, but I didn't buy it. However, I was at the bookstore today and ran across it again, so I decided to take the plunge. I have still only flipped through it, so I can't give a full review, but so far I like it. Some of it is obviously not applicable to most people, like when it suggests that women who are "dreamgirls," as opposed to "doormats," can't remember their boyfriend's last name. Umm... if you don't know his last name, he's not your bf. But I do feel like this book is empowering as much of it is telling women to focus on themselves and their own lifestyle; to be certain about what they want and not be afraid to refuse to settle for anything less. In some ways I think this is more a book about assertiveness than about men. I'll let you know if I still feel this way after I've read more of it.

In other news, I have successfully avoided doing any type of school related work for yet another day. But I do have plans to spend the whole day at the library tomorrow, so I guess I'll start being a productive human again.

I got a myspace message from K yesterday, which I didn't read until this afternoon. Then he promptly responded, but I have not reciprocated yet. I feel like this is a "game," which is something that I have no idea how to play. Normally I would just respond like I would to anyone, but I'm trying to learn how to be a "bitch," so I guess I'll try to play for awhile and see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment